Our garden has been overflowing with green bell peppers this summer, so I wanted to cook a yummy dish that everyone would love. My husband was a little worried about what it was going to taste like (he isn’t a bit of a meat loaf fan), but he does love tomato soup. The end result is a tomato ground beef cheesy yumminess.
I experimented with a few versions and put together this stuffed green bell pepper recipe.
Ingredients for stuffed green bell peppers:
- 8 green bell peppers
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 2 (10.75 ounce) cans condensed tomato soup
- Salt to taste
- Water to add as needed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. In a medium saucepan cook the 1 lb. ground beef and 1/3 cup chopped onions over medium heat until the meat is brown. Drain excess fat and liquid.
2. Add the chopped tomatoes, 1/2 cup water and the 1/2 cup uncooked rice to the ground beef. Cover the pan turn the stove down to simmer and simmer for 15 minutes.
3. In a large pan boil water and boil the green peppers for about 5 minutes. Place the peppers upright in a a baking pan. I usually use one of my glass or Pyrex baking dishes.
4. Add the 1 tsp. Worchester sauce, 1 tsp. oregano, 2 tsp. parsley, 2 cans tomato soup and 1 cup cheese. Heat over medium heat until the soup is warm. You may need to add a little water, you want the consistence of gravy.
5. Pour into green bell peppers and sprinkle cheese on top.
6. Cover pan with tin foil and bake for 30-35 minutes.